- Parents' Page
What can you do to help
A Checklist for Parents and lacrosse Players
- Always play by the rules.
- Don't lose your temper.
- Cheer good plays made by either team.
- Don't talk trash or tease or goad the opponent.
- Win or lose, be sure to shake hands with the opponent and officials after a game.
- Don't yell at teammates for making a mistake. Never criticize teammates or coaches on the sideline.
- Admit your mistakes instead of making excuses or blaming others.
- Try your hardest on every play, even if your team is losing by a large margin of goals.
- Point out incorrect calls when they go in your favor.
- Don't argue with calls that go against your team.
- Don't show off
How Parents Can Help
- Support your child by giving encouragement and showing interest in their participation. Help your child work toward skill improvement and good sportsmanship in every game. Teach your child that hard work and an honest effort are more important than victory - that way your child will always be a winner despite the outcome of the game!
- Be a positive role model for your child. Applaud good plays by your child’s team as well as good plays by the opposing team.
- Let your child establish his/her own goals - to play the game for themselves. Don't put too heavy a burden on your child to win games.
- Offer positive reinforcement to help your child achieve their goals and overcome their natural fear of failure. If your child makes a mistake, remember it's all part of learning, so encourage your child's efforts and point out the good things that your child accomplishes.
- Refrain from coaching or refereeing from the sidelines as these officials are usually parents just like you. They volunteer their time to help make your child's lacrosse experience a positive one. They need your support too.
- Offer your services as a volunteer – a fundraiser, driver, timekeeper, scorekeeper, manager of equipment, board member, etc.
- Helmet with Cage (Hockey or Lacrosse OK)
- Shoulder Pads (Hockey or Lacrosse)
- Kidney pads
- Elbow pads (Hockey or Lacrosse)
- Athletic supporter
- Gloves (Hockey or Lacrosse)
- Lacrosse Stick
- Basketball shoes/Runners